Welcome to "Folk at the Barlow".
Friday 6th May.
All are welcome at our monthly singaround
from 8.00 PM - 11.00 in the Library at The Barlow.
Friday, 20th May at 8.00 PM.
Dave Townsend and Phil Humphries.
We are looking forward to the return to the club of Dave Townsend and Phil Humphries. Dave (concertina, violin & vocals) is the founder of the Mellstock Band and is an acknowledged master of the concertina, composer, researcher and collector of musical traditions who has provided music for film, television and radio, published books, produced albums and taught and lectured on many aspects of traditional music. Phil (serpent & vocals) studied at Trinity College of Music and later became a trombonist with the Andy Ross Band. His interest in early music led him to the serpent and he has played all over the world with the New London Consort.
Support will be ably provided by our old friend Ken Pearson along with his pal Chris who are known collectively as "Me 'an 'im".
Saturday 21st May Workshops and Barn Dance
with Dave Townsend and Phil Humphries.
10.00 AM - 4.00 PM
A series of 3 workshops with Dave and Phil (£5 each) covering:-
a) Village Dance Music
b) Playing for Dancing
c) How to make Band Arrangements
Musicians are then invited to demonstrate their skills in -
7.30 PM - 11.00 PM Village Barn Dance (£8)
(Whole Day ticket £15)
* Guests are placed on a list on the recommendation of Committee Members and regulars who attend singer's nights and guest nights.
* The Committee vote on the list and the most popular artistes/groups are contacted.
* We never book guests or support acts on cold calls, emails or facebook requests. If we wish to book, we will contact the artiste/agent directly.
* All gigs at the club are unplugged, unless specifically agreed in advance.
* Support on guest nights is provided by local artistes/groups chosen by the Committee.
To book tickets for any of our events, please phone us on 07427 613783